In 2017, EUROCLIO organised the third regional summer school together with the Association of History Educators of Albania (ALBNA). The general theme for the Summer School was ‘Going Beyond Pride and Pain’. Recently in the Balkan region, history education is utilised to reflect the past achievements of the nation (pride), and stress the injustice inflicted upon the nation by others (pain). During the Summer School the aim was to develop a new look on one’s own history in the Balkan region.
With the summer school, EUROCLIO and the Association of History Educators of Albania (ALBNA) sought to provide transnational transfer of knowledge and experience. Through lectures, workshops, discussion groups and study visits, heritage/history educators, researchers and policy makers were stimulated to implement innovative teaching practices in their classroom and/or institute to work towards a framework for common approach for dealing with history. Participants improved their knowledge of cultures and got acquainted with new educational contents, services, and methods.
- To look back at decades of work on regional cooperation in history educators through the lens of the teachers’ voice, collected in the ePACT Needs Assessment, and develop strategic planning with key policy makers and civil society actors for a history education for sustainable peace, inclusive societies and new skills.
- To build the capacity of educators and their associations for the teaching and learning of responsible history that goes beyond the traditional focus of pride and pain.
- To compare and contrast perspectives on social and cultural local history and heritage.
To enable dialogue and cross-community and trans-border networking.
- To support projects, initiatives and processes which aim to develop new approaches for responsible.
- The Summer School will take place at Llogora Tourist Village, Albania from 18-23 July 2017. 18 July is arrival day, and 23 July is departure day.
- Accommodation during the Summer School is arranged by the organizers.
- The participation fee for 5 days is €415,- in total per person including accommodation, breakfast, coffee breaks, lunches, dinners, local travel and on-site learning.
For further information, any questions or inquiries, please contact the seminar organizer Judith Geerling (email@example.com). We are looking forward to your registration.